Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches are the perfect afternoon snack as summer winds down and the kids head back to school (or for any sultry summer day in between)! We make our homemade cookies with Mocha granola, but feel free to swap in your family’s favorite Little Red Wagon granola flavor.
1 cup butter at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup crushed Mocha granola ( or substitute with your favorite flavor)
4 oz uncooked rolled oats
1. Soften butter in the microwave or let sit out to soften.
2. Preheat oven to 340°F.
3. Crush Mocha granola with a food processor or crush it by hand in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, mix softened butter and brown sugar with a spatula or a hand mixer if desired.
5. To the sugar and butter mixture, add eggs, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, and honey.
6. Add flour, instant coffee, oats, and granola and mix until just incorporated and a dough forms.
7. Scoop into teaspoon-sized balls and line on a baking sheet
8. Bake for approximately 10 minutes at 340°F or until edges are firm.
9. Once cookies cool, scoop your favorite frozen yogurt or ice cream across one cookie, and sandwich with another cookie.
10. Place cookies in the freezer so they can harden (about a couple of hours).
11. Once frozen, roll the sandwiches in your favorite toppings like nuts, chocolate chips, or even more healthy granola.
Yields 6-8 oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches depending on preferred cookie size (12-16 individual cookies)